History of The Winsor House Inn –
Originally a private residence, the Winsor House Inn was built 1803 by Nathaniel Winsor - patriarch, merchant and sea captain - for his daughter, Nancy and her husband John Howland. At the time, the town of Duxbury was in the midst of a prosperous era of shipbuilding and merchant sea trade. The Winsor clan was one of the more prominent families of the period. Daniel Winsor, a long time sea captain, was living in the house as late as 1860. Daniel’s great grandson, George left Duxbury in 1896 to sail to England with his wife, Harriet and their son Daniel. In 1915, young Daniel inherited the Duxbury estate when he was nineteen years of age and an officer with the British naval Intelligence.
Daniel and his bride, Marie, returned to Duxbury in 1932 to establish an Inn at the family homestead. Because he loved English pubs, he recreated one in a wing added to the original house. He then appointed himself bartender at the Winsor House Inn which remained a popular and fashionable spot under the congenial eye of the Winsors
until their retirement in 1962.
For fourteen years, the Inn passed among many owners. In 1976, David & Patricia O’Connell purchased the property and have lovingly restored and maintained the Winsor House Inn to its original warm & cozy atmosphere, continuing a long tradition of gracious hospitality.